Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I suppose you could say that today has been eventful.

Well, as eventful as a day can get in my happy little hospital room. Firstly, my nurses and I determined yesterday that I was probably becoming dehydrated. I was getting dizzy when I stood up, and my resting heart rate has been averaging between 110 and 120. Normally it's around 50 or 60. So they hooked me up to the fluids. And then my nurse came in this morning and told me that my red blood cells were actually not hanging out as I had thought. They were in fact, running low. So blood was ordered. And blood was transfused. Incidentally, I feel much better than I felt yesterday -- no dizziness and such. I guess I was in dire need of the various fluids. My brother also stopped by, bringing his own brand of amusement to my otherwise bland life.

And here's the most exciting part of the day: Remember December 30, 2006? I do -- with a little help from the b-log archives. That day I was freaking out because I had begun to lose my hair. It was a new and scary experience for me. I didn't really know what to do with it, my hair. Ultimately, I chickened out on shaving my head. I decided just to let my hair fall out and see what happened. What happened is that it didn't all quite fall out; there was still hair left, but it was quite thin. And then my hair started growing back. It was actually at a reasonable length and fullness, i.e. I could go without a hat, when I started on this most recent bout of chemo. And then, wouldn't you know it, my hair started falling out again. Just about right on schedule too. This time, however, I made up my mind. This time, I shaved my head. Well, okay, my nurse shaved it. But gone is all the hair. There is a very short fuzz, but it's not consistent, and it is still falling out. I kind of want to take a lint roller to my head to get off the little fuzzies. I also can't stop touching my scalp. It feels... I can't even describe it. It's funny. So, now I'm bald, and I'm excited. And that's my day. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight, and even more hopefully my counts will show some growth. Otherwise, have a happy tomorrow and all that jazz. Peace.

1 comment:

Megan/Yuping said...

I have been told that such a haircut is called a "jarhead cut." I may be wrong, though. I imagine it is a nice, cooling summer cut. Hooray!

Also: Give your brother my love.