Sunday, December 17, 2006

How do you eat your gingerbread man?

I started with his left arm, making a clockwise journey through his appendages until I reached the head, saving the body for last. It is the squishiest, and therefore most delicious, part of said man. It was a good relationship while it lasted, but now I've moved on. I just don't think he'll be able to meet my needs on a long-term basis. Oh well. On another, happy medical note: my doctors told me today that I tested positive for.... Epstein-Barr virus! John! Tell us about the Epstein-Barr virus! Well folks, the Epstein-Barr virus is a member of the herpes virus family. It typically causes mononucleosis, but it is possible to have the virus without having mono (i.e.: me). Many people get EBV at some point in their life; it is a common virus, transmitted typically through saliva or sharing food. What this means for me: my doctors are yet again postponing the start of my chemo treatments until they know if they should be significantly worried about the virus and its effect on my immune system. There isn't really a specific way to treat a virus; there are no antibiotics to be given. Recovery from a virus is pretty much dependent on the effectiveness of your immune system. The chemotherapy will essentially be attacking my marrow, so I won't be producing any white-blood cells, the happy little fighters in the immune system. SO. They're doing more tests to determine the virus' potency. The doctors would rather not start depleting my immune system when there's a nasty little virus lurking just beneath my cell flaps. Because cells totally have flaps. Under which hide viruses. Shutup. But I should be starting chemo tomorrow. Unless they tell me that my HIV results were actually positive. Then I'll start weeping. So that's my medical update for today. Hoo-rah. Also: apparently there are 3 other people my age on the floor. The nurses are plotting to make us all hang out sometime. It's funny because this floor is less social than 4th floor Shelton Hall. (You'd understand if you were there). But I guess everyone has a decent reason, being in medical isolation and whatnot. But I'll share more of this breaking news as the story unfolds. props for over-long posts.

4 comments:

Megan/Yuping said...

I start with the head. I feel like it's more humane that way--they don't have to be conscious and endure the pain while I remove each limb, one by one. Delicious.

Justin Hook said...

I start with the heart and work my way out. It requires a very dexterous tongue.

You say you get it from "saliva or sharing food"? So I take it things are progressing between you and intern guy? Bravo.

Oh, and one IMPORTANT THING.

So for about 3 years, I was in this choir called "Kids Healing Kids," and we made videos. My line, which I still remember to this day, "We make videos for kids with cancer and other diseases."

As a cancer center in the midwest, I am certain Univ. of Chicago had our tapes. You should see about procuring one. Then you can see a younger, fatter me, singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" in a cute little outfit. Right on.

Anonymous said...

I think I was social on the floor don't be hating on everyone. I always enjoyed nice lunches with some of the girls across the hall from you and theres the girls in one cornor and Waite in the other. I was social...I think. Don't descriminate

Anonymous said...

we really liked your description on how to eat gingerbread men - now we all do it too. We all wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year!