Thursday, March 29, 2007

so..... full........

Today, for the first time ever, I ordered a burrito from Chipotle. Usually I just get my happy little chicken tacos. But today I decided, "No, I am deliriously hungry. I need a burrito." Little did I know what was in store for me. I took my first bite roughly forty-five minutes ago. I still have a good two inches to go. The first bite was delicious! Rice and beans and spicy green salsa and grilled chicken and guacamole... Mmm. The second bite was just as good. I continued to slowly eat said burrito until it was about three-fourths of the way finished. At about that point, I started feeling full. Like, extremely full. Like, I just put a Lot of burrito in my belly, full. And I wasn't even finished yet! I'm still not finished. But eventually the burrito will be wholly consumed, and I will go lie down while resolving not to eat again for the next day or two. And so that's what's exciting in my life.

Actually though, today has been quite busy for me. I started my volunteer work at the Arboretum (the tree place). It was just stock-room work; specifically, I was price-tagging t-shirts. But I was doing something, and it was out of my house. There was also another student working there, so it was nice to have someone to talk to. Who knows, maybe I'll make a (gasp!) friend. Although he said he thinks he might be getting bronchitis, so I may have to destroy him... It was fun though. He asked me about my cancer too, which threw me for a loop at first. He said he was just curious what it was like, as he hadn't ever known anyone with cancer. It's kind of funny: when something like this happens to you, especially when you're right in the throes of it, you feel very different from your peers and almost segregated from everybody. It may just be mental, but it's not just me. The other young adults in my weekly group sessions agreed with me when I said that often I feel invisible to other people. Or at the very least, you feel different. So it was nice to talk to someone about it who really was just curious. I didn't get any pity or sympathy vibes from him. Part of it, I'm sure, is that he was sitting across from me. He could see that I look normal, that I talk normally, and that there is nothing inhibiting my daily funtions. I was just another college student who could have been in his class. I just happen to also have a life-threatening disease. Mehh.

And finally, once again, BU Today has flattered me immensely by doing a special little bit about the (b)log. If you are so inclined, you can check out their very kind words HERE. Super exciting stuff. And that's about it. Once again, I may or may not balls up and go to an open mic tonight. I think I'm going to go. I just have to make myself. Sigh, I wish I had a buddy for this... But oh well, we'll see what happens. Thank God it's almost Friday! Peace peeps.

3 comments:

Megan/Yuping said...

Dawg, reading that excerpt from BU Today was really odd. Because when I read your blog, I hear your voice coming at me from across the room. I am like, "Oh, Caroline is telling me a story. What witty thing would I think of to say to her about her story if she were sitting with her bear on the bed and talking over my obnoxious speakers blasting the band-of-the-moment?"

But in the BU thing, your blog is so out of context. It is like, "Here is this person writing something really professional and profound and not really related to you at all. We are telling you it is good and you should read it."

All of this is, of course, boiling down to one thing: Visual Rhetoric is real! Yeah fonts and context changing meaning. At least in my head.

Also: YAY FRIENDS, YAY TREES! http://happytreefriends.atomfilms.com/

Also also: chipotle is horrible. Please come to California and get some real burritos. This place in the town over from me makes a four pound one. And it is delicious.

Megan/Yuping said...

Also also also: I am super impressed that you are reading Vanity Fair. I need to get on that recreational reading thing; I haven't touched anything since my binge on Humboldt's Gift when I was at your house.

kev-kev said...

im glad you ballsed up and went to the open mic thing, why didnt you write an entry about it?!?! still tired from the burrito eating?