Tuesday, February 27, 2007

There's nothing better than having a hole drilled into your bone.

Another joyous day in clinic. Another bone marrow biopsy and aspirate. I'm not sure if I've ever explained this, but a biopsy is when they remove bone fluid and an aspirate is when they extract bone core. Strangely, it's more painful when they suck out the fluid. Good times. Good times with needles. But no really, it's not that bad. Mostly it's just uncomfortable; the doctor numbs the skin and the outside of the bone to a healthy unfeeling. And... I learned something interesting today. Apparently people who have lymphoma (another blood-related cancer) have to have biopsies done on both sides of their hips. They get one side drilled and done, and then the doctor goes to the other side and does it all again. Just the thought of having to go through that is horrendous. And the doctor told me that in the past, when medical procedures were more risky and technology wasn't nearly as good, in order to get enough and accurate samples, they had to do four biopsies at the same time. FOUR. That's four holes drilled into bone. And you just know it probably hurt a lot more than it does now. Ehhh. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. But that brings us to the uplifting part: Technology and advancements in medicine are Freaking Awesome. 25, 30 years ago I probably wouldn't have survived this. And now, well, it's not even an issue. So hoorah for pain medicine. And better microscopes and stuff. Mostly for pain medicine.

And that's about it. I met the guy who plays around with my blood, looking at the cells and various -cytes and -blasts. His name is Howie. He seemed like a pretty smart man. He told me it's nice to meet me and that "we're doing everything we can to get you better and get you back to school." I like how this man thinks. Here's the thing though, and this is all strictly preliminary and hypothetical, but there is a chance I might not start classes in the fall. As of now, my last biopsy is September 10, and I don't know how I'll feel at that point. But I'm going to do everything I can to hold this man to his word and get me back to school. I'm sure it will all work out; I just need to be aware of all possible situations. I'm also trying not to think about that because it's a long time away. Otherwise, I'm in a great mood. My appetite's back, and friends are coming to visit!! So good things to look forward to. Alright, enjoy tomorrow's hump. day. Peace.

1 comment:

Megan/Yuping said...

Two things in this post truly upset me, but I'm only going to address the following:

Where is my, "Happy Tuesday, Sad Toad"? I could use a little of that today.