Sunday, February 18, 2007

Still in confinement.

Hopefully my blood cell counts will start recovering sometime this week. It's supposed to be in the fifties by this weekend, and I am desperate to go outside. Well, go outside without freezing my buns off. Winter's great; it's beautiful outside. I love the snow, for sure. But warmer weather will be nice. In cancer news, interestingly, I've started to feel generally not well. My headache is pretty consistent now, and I've started feeling nauseous as well. Apparently the effects of chemotherapy are cumulative. During the times when I'm not neutropenic, my blood counts are still lower than a healthy person's. In terms of the side-effects, I guess those worsen too. So, the first month of treatment, I was okay. I felt healthy, I recovered quickly, the whole deal. Now, however, I'm starting to feel the side-effects. They're building themselves a nice solid structure in my body. Taking root, as it were. It's a good time. As of yet, it isn't debilitating. I can still go about my daily activities --such as they are-- normally. I'm just hoping as the months progress, they won't worsen significantly. For now though, just plugging along with what I've got. Not much else I can do, I suppose. I don't know, is there some hotline I can call, be like, "hey guys, okay, I've tried the side-effects, I didn't really like them, you can take them away now?" Because that would be sweet. But I don't think there is. Oh well.

And that's about it. I finished Garcia-Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera. I liked the book, but I was disappointed by the ending. The book is long and he is a very intelligent and articulate author (can I call a writer articulate? I don't actually think so...). But his ending just sort of seemed to me like he didn't know how to end it, so he came up with something pedestrian and expected. Oh well. If you've read it, comments? If you haven't read it, it's pretty good if you have a high tolerance for well-written yet fairly drawn out literature. Although, I suppose if you're reading this, you're used to the fairly drawn out. Meh, we'll both live. Well, tomorrow's a holiday, so enjoy it if you have it off. Every day is a holiday for me, kind of, but at least tomorrow I have a somewhat legitimate reason for loafing. hoorah for the presidents. And then Tuesday, man, you had better believe I'll be eating pancakes. Yah! (Mardi gras. Look it up.) Alright, pax from he-ah.

3 comments:

Megan/Yuping said...

Oh man, I love that book. If I remember correctly, it ends with them awkwardly making love when they're old and sailing away from shore with the yellow cholera flag raised. I thought the ending was perfect. It begins with a man dying because he doesn't think his life will be worth living after 60 and ends with a man finally fulfilling his meaning for living after 60. Also, there is a nice touch with the whole yellow flag representing both the sickness of love and cholera, because for Marquez, they are the same.

Of course, I read this the summer before my sophomore junior year, so I could have it all wrong. I just remember really liking it a lot.

Caroline said...

So, okay, you're smarter than me. Fine. What does that prove? Haha, by the time I got to the end, I didn't even remember the beginning. Thanks for nicely tying it all together.

Megan/Yuping said...

Don't thank me, thank the nice people at SparkNotes. I didn't go through a single book in high school wihout consulting them.

And Marquez totally wanders. It is confusing.