Tuesday, January 9, 2007

I went shopping today!

Not like, oh sweet, I've lost 16 pounds in a month and need new jeans shopping, but like, I went to Trader Joe's and got totally sweet food shopping! Needless to say, I was excited. I feel so productive. I also bought cinnamon crunch bagels at Panera Bread. For those of you who don't have Panera, I am so, so sorry. And I will enjoy a cinnamon crunch bagel on your behalf.

I suppose I should include some sort of cancer update, seeing as how that is supposed to be the [purpose] of this (b)log. I have to go in to the cancer clinic tomorrow for two more doses of chemo. After that, I won't be receiving any more chemo for about a week and a half. And then my second month of treatment starts up. A new batch of drugs for me, but I think they'll all still be doing the same thing, although I'm not sure yet. That's still a little ways away. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I've noted this before or not, but the tips of my fingers are numb. It is a very strange feeling, not being able to feel them. It's cool for my left hand, because I can play guitar for a really long time and not feel anything. But for my right hand, it's strange. It sort of feels like when your hands get really cold in the winter and you lose the feeling. But when that happens, gradually the feeling comes back, with repeated hand-rubbing or warming them up under lukewarm water. The feeling isn't coming back for me. Occasionally the tip of my big toe goes numb too, but that one is inconsistent. Apparently this is actually a normal reaction to the chemo. So, that's cool. But I'm pretty much just hoping that the feeling comes back once I finish up the chemo. It's not really painful, more just strange. I pulled toast out of our toaster this morning and was like, "hmm, this should be hot... Caroline, don't play around with toast." So I stopped doing that. The goal is no lasting damage here. Working on it.

Also, you wouldn't think it, but losing your hair is actually kind of painful. Again, not substantially so, but to the point where my scalp is tender. I'm pretty sure I'm freaking out my dad because of all the hair in the wastebasket in our bathroom, but I mean, come on, it's got to go somewhere. Otherwise, I'm bumming around my house. Doing some writing things for my mom, getting kind of published and all that awesome jazz. I think my strength is coming back; I'm telling myself my strength is coming back. But I've only been home four days. I'm still adjusting. I suppose I'll be adjusting for the next few months. Hokay, props for over-long posts. Pax.

1 comment:

Megan/Yuping said...

Dude, where are you getting published? Send it to meeeeeeee. Or send it to AEPi. I'll get it either way.

Also: The Trader Giotto's brand (like Italian for Joe, haha) frozen gnocchi--both the marinara with mozarella and the creamy gorgonzola--are to die for. I don't have a Panera, but I do have a stove and a saucepan, and they are so delicious in my tummy. I'm also a fan of the bow tie pasta with red pesto and the fire roasted guac. Mmm, fire roasted guac.