Friday, April 13, 2007

It's 10:30 pm... Do you know where your children are?

Luckily, I don't have children, so the above question is not an issue in my world. I do, however, know where I am... Sitting in my comfy chair in my living room! That's right folks, the kind people at the hospital have finally released me. So thank you to everyone who may have been thinking happy kidney cell thoughts with me. My chemo levels are still a bit high, but they are dropping. Also, my white blood cell count has improved, and my kidneys seem to be back to normal. The main reason they discharged me is because my white cell counts have increased to a safe level. I still have to go back to the clinic on Monday and Wednesday to have my blood drawn, but that is a small price to pay. And the sun was shining today for the first time in a while, so there is not much else I could have asked for.

So here's an interesting little blurb that may or may not provide some more insight into the type of person I am. I'm assuming that it is normal, when you are forced to eat only certain types of food for a period of time, to crave food items you haven't had in a while. My dad told me about one time when he and some co-workers went to China, and when they returned to the U.S., at least a few of the other people bee-lined to McDonald's. In fact, I feel like McDonald's is often the first place people go when their food has been restricted or different for a while. So, okay, McDonald's. Greasy burger patties, limp buns, greenish lettuce, flaccid fries... I get why people would crave it. It's the quintessential American meal. Anyway, so, my food has been severely restricted for the past ten days. And do you know the first thing I wanted to eat once out of the hospital? A grilled chicken panini. I actually ended up getting a chicken sandwich with tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella, although it wasn't grilled. Does that make me strange? I would like to think it means I have a more sophisticated palette. Either way, my first out-of-hospital sandwich was delicious; I have no regrets. And that is about it for me. I have a home care nurse coming tomorrow to teach me how to give myself the hydration packs, and I will also be shooting myself in the thigh with a needle, but more on those when they occur. Things to look forward to! Happy Weekend, even though I'm bummed I'm not in Boston. Oh well. Peace.

1 comment:

Megan/Yuping said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Needles in the thigh = not so awesome. I may have to have Andy screen and prep me for your next b-log. Needles are SCARY.

Also: I'll eat some Feretti's in your honor this weekend. You should seriously consider coming out for the summer.