Tuesday, January 2, 2007

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

I've lost about 13 pounds since I was first admitted to the hospital in Boston, way back on December 6th. Most of it is muscle mass, which bothers me to no end. But I mean, I'm really not doing anything. I go from walking at least a few miles a day, having a history of decent physical activity, to being pretty much confined to a 15' x 12' room. Yeah, there's a treadmill down the hall, but I can't run because 1. I'm anemic, 2. I'm dehydrated, and 3. I'm kind of worried about the tubes in my chest... Also, I am on what is known as "contact isolation." I tested positive for a bacteria that is potentially dangerous to people who have no immune systems to fight it. It's not a big deal; it's not affecting me at all, and I'm taking antibiotics for it. But it means that if I ever want to leave my room, I have to put on a yellow gown, a mask, and medical gloves so I don't spread my stuffs. Not exactly work-out apparel. Also, I'm not allowed to leave this wing yet anyway because my immune system is still so destroyed. So, I mean, I suppose I could walk laps around my room... My mom brought me some five-pound weights the other day, so I'm using those to at least stay toned-ish. But those aren't going to do much in the way of rebuilding muscle. Grr, it's just frustrating. Although, I'm morbidly fascinated by the fact that my weight is a little bit lower every morning. And believe me, it's not like I'm not eating. Although, for sure, I'm eating much less. I'm not that worried about it as of yet. I think if I lose five more pounds, then we're going to have a problem, but I'm going to try and not let that happen. Otherwise, today is just going to be another day. They started me back up on the steroid that helps me retain fluids, and my doctor says it's working, so that's a plus. I start back up on the heavy chemo tomorrow. I've had about a week off. But for today, more of the same relazzin.

Oh, also: I know I said that I wouldn't let this become a political blog. I keep hearing of more and more people who read this, which is awesome, but I don't want to alienate anyone. That being said, I would just like to say that American foreign policy makes me want to throw up. And I'm taking anti-nausea drugs. I was seriously upset by what I read in the NYTimes this morning. (The other side of it is that clearly biased journalism is dominating the national media, which is also gross...) But I'll skip the details, only emphasize that people, please read the paper, give a damn about what's going on around you. Okay, thanks. hahaha, I'm done.

No comments: